Anyone who’s ever owned a car will know how much they can come to mean to you, and how they can seemingly transcend their status as simple practical machines. We tend to develop a ‘connection’ to our cars that makes them seem almost like friends with personalities of their own, or as extensions of our own body, and of course this has been played upon in the movies to create some truly legendary cars that either talk and have personalities, or that are synonymous with the protagonist who drives them. Following then are the top ten famous cars from film and TV.
10. Herbie – Herbie has to make it onto any top 10 famous film cars list as the lovable car with a face we all remember from our childhood. As a result it’s hard not to think of headlights on eyes.
9. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang – The first Ian Flemming related entry to our top ten famous film cars list. Famous for the (horribly catchy) music if nothing else.
8. Lightning McQueen – Cars might not have been one of the most successful Pixar movies, but Lightning McQueen is still one of the most recognisable film cars and so a stickler for the top 10 famous film cars. And it helps that he’s voiced by the amazing Owen Wilson.
7. Bumblebee – The concept behind the first Transformers film was that it would be a film about a boy and his first car, and the relationship between Shea LeBouf and Bumblebee is actually very touching as a result. Plus he’s a kick-ass roboto so he goes on any top ten famous film cars list.
6. The Bluesmobile – The conveyance of the Blues Brothers – a Dodge Monaco Police car, and just as iconic as everything else in the film series (putting ‘mobile’ on the end of anything makes it into an automatically cool car).
5. Knight Rider – Everybody wishes they could talk to their car, which is why KITT the black Pontiac Firebird is one of the top 10 famous film cars. Technically Knight Rider is a TV series, but it’s surely only a matter of time until the car makes it to the big screen (hopefully with Hastlehoff in tow!).
4. Starsky and Hutch’s Torino – Certainly one of the most well-known (and lusted after) cars in film and television history, and put through the ringer in a vast array of impressive stunts and chases.
3. The DeLorien DMC-12 – The car from Back to the Future, and a central part of the plot as the MacGuffin needed to get the car to work. Like all the top 10 famous film cars, this one is instantly recognisable.
2. The Bat Mobile – The Bat Mobile has had many iterations, any of which could make the top 10 famous film cars of all time. The most recent version is practically a tank and looks like a Lego car we’d have designed as children: brilliant.
1. Aston Martin DB5 – Any Bond car gets classic status just as any Bond girl does, but the DB5 was the first to really stand out and to be kitted out with gadgets and gizmos. It’s the Bond car and the most sought after vehicle on the planet as a result.